Darlene arrived with a bundle of shawls, equipment and about 30 miniature tri-looms. Darlene outlined the benefits of weaving on a tri-loom or 'the continuous strand method of weaving'. Here are a few points from her notes:
- The tri-loom is the only loom that dresses itself; warp and weft are made simultaneously.
- Minimal equipment is required (no reeds or shuttles); just the loom, yarn and a locker hook and you are ready to weave.
- No restrictions to the type of yarns you can use and very little wastage.
- As you weave from the outside to the middle, colour changes are simple and the pattern is automatically symmetrical.
- The whole project is always in full view; see your fabric evolve as you weave.
After the introduction and a show and tell of some beautiful shawls she has woven on her large tri-loom; we set to work with a hands on demonstration on our miniature 9" looms.
|A beautiful work in progress|
Darlene was very patient and generous with her time/knowledge to help us complete tiny 'prayer shawls' on the miniature looms.
If you are interested in learning more about Tri-Loom: The Continuous Strand Method of Weaving contact Darlene at: STILLNIGHTSTUDIO.com